Sunday, March 22, 2009

What are You Afraid of?

Last week, one of my friends invited me over to check out the new make-up our company came out with for this season. Being the makeup fiend that I am, I went. With a certain quickness, I might add.

But, that's not what this post is about.

My friend and I work with the same company, so we've know each other for a few years. In the past year or two, we've grown closer. This was the first time I actually visited her at her home, so I got to see some pictures of her and her family. I was a bit taken aback by what I saw.
She's a pretty lady now, but back in the day she was completely stunning! In one picture she looked like a very well sculpted Ms. America Barbie Doll. She told me she actually won one of those body building contests back then.
So, me, in all my tact, very excitedly suggested we lose weight and tone ourselves up so we could both look like that now.
She replied with a bunch of reasons she couldn't do it--you know, no time, a medical condition, uncontrollable urges for cupcakes, blah blah blah.

Being in weight management, I'm used to hearing a bunch of excuses as to why people can't lose the weight they claim to want to lose. This time I was kind of thrown, though, because we work with the same company and I never expect to hear those same excuses from one of my compadres.
Not that I don't make excuses for the things I don't really want to do. But, because
on a conscious level, I don't believe in excuses and I am certain I can do anything I set my mind to, my excuses are born of more crafty methods. And crafty, they are. Indeed.

Initially, there are no excuses--I take on a task like nobody's business! And, unfortunately,there doesn't have to be any excuses, because my subconscious knows how easily I (choose to be) am distracted. The lyrics from a love song, a candy bar wrapper (yup, it's happened), the sun--you name it, as long as it's easier to think about than the task at hand, my attention is there. By the time my conscious has figured out what's happened, it's too late. The task at hand is incomplete and here come the excuses.
I understand the fact that it is human nature to travel the path of least resistance. I really like that path. It's a lot easier. The only thing with that is, you just can't accomplish a whole lot of good stuff travelling down that road. Fortunately, I do know what I need to do to get things done. I just need to take action.

Fear creeps up on us in a number of ways, for a number of reasons. People that are fearful are easy to control. Sometimes it's so deep-seated, it's unrecognizable. It makes us do crazy things. It also keeps us from doing the right things.

Do you recognize fear in your life? If you need help in this area, check out DaniJohnson. She offers no-nonsense insight and advice on focus, fear, excuses and results and has helped me quite a bit in all areas of my life.


Stay Real!

No comments: