Thursday, February 12, 2009

Media Emersion

Have you ever noticed that in commercials the people eating dessert, fast food, snacks, etc are never overweight? And the people taking drugs are always happy and attractive--hanging out on a beach or dancing in a field full of flowers? And the women wearing cosmetics are unnaturally beautiful?

Is that fair? Do we ever think about what we are watching?

I just saw a commercial for some sort of delectable looking chocolate delight. All of the women in the commercial were skinny, sexy and having quite a bit of fun with that dessert.
We all know that one too many of those concoctions will put us on the other side of skinny real quick, but those ladies sure looked like they were really enjoying themselves.

Who looks like that, anyway? Some statistics indicate that 63% of Americans are overweight; with %37 percent of them being obese. What are those people eating?

Anti-depressants are the most prescribed pharmaceuticals in the United States. I don't know about you, but I don't really associate being happy and attractive with depression. And how often do you actually end up dancing in a field of daisies?

And the cosmetics thing. C'mon! It should be unlawful for cosmetics companies to show models with false eyelashes in a mascara commercials.

A few years back there was a commercial about a test for a certain type of cancer that was supposed to be one of the most difficult types of cancer to detect and one of the deadliest forms of cancer in women. Maybe it was ovarian cancer.
So, of course, me, being the super hypochondriac that I am, asked for the test at my very next routine OB/Gyn appointment. You can never be too careful.

When I asked the doctor for the test, her whole countenance changed and the color pretty much drained from her face. She took me through a serious interrogation. Why did I want the test? Is it inherent in my family? Do I have any symptoms? Any changes in my menstrual cycle?

No, I exclaimed. I saw this commercial on tv and, well, you know the rest.
The doctor looked somewhat relieved and like she wanted to slap me upside my head, all at the same time. She kind of muttered something about stupid commercials under her breath and continued on with my exam.

All of this because I was brainwashed.

Think about that the next time you want to go out and buy a snuggie.

Nuff said. Stay Real.