Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Marching Toward Decrepitude II

I am becoming more and more concerned about my growing concern with aging. There. I said it. I can't believe I'm really thinking this hard about how aging is affecting me, but after yesterday, I can no longer live in my own little world of denial. After all, my motto has always been that I will live to be 150 and look and feel like I'm 50.

I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Yesterday I took a day trip to New York. Driving, the trip would take about an hour and forty-five minutes. No problem. Go in, do some work and get out, right?

Riiiight.

I got up at the crack of dawn. That's no biggie for most people. Not for Her Graciousness. I hate to admit it, but it's been a few dawns since I've seen the other side of 7 o'clock.
But, really, no problem. It doesn't happen that often, so I'm not complaining.

So, I'm up and I'm out. Up the turnpike. Clear highway. Great tracks. Plenty of caffeine.
For some reason, though, I'm tired. Driving UP. Dang. The day hasn't even begun and I'm tired. What's that about?

So I get to the place and everything's cool. It's a pretty easy day. Sold a few young ladies some lipstick. A mini-makeover, a couple of consults. Nothing too strenuous. A good day.

The drive home, though, was no reflection of the ease of the day. As soon as I jumped back onto the turnpike, I had trouble keeping my eyes open. I thought, maybe I went to bed too late. Maybe I didn't eat enough. Maybe the day wasn't as stress-free as I thought.


Or maybe, just maybe, I'm getting OLD!

Well, that thought was confirmed later on in the day. That evening, after slipping out of my coma, I realized that I maybe can't do the things at 44 that I did when I was 24. Well, do it and not be exhausted. Like driving to New York and back in a day.

Because I work in the Anti-Aging industry, I'm pretty much up on the tricks of the trade to help people look and feel their best. I know that diet, sleep, stress, aging, etc. have a direct affect on performance. I know this. I've seen the results of people taking care of themselves.
I can tell you, in the blink of an eye, how to drop a quick five pounds. Or how to get rid of those pesky little frown lines. Or how get relief to those crickity-crackity joints.


My refusal to apply these principles to my own life, however, is quite baffling. Getting enough sleep. Eating the right foods. It may not be a game anymore.

Nuff said. Stay real.

No comments: