Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Michael Jackson Post


I am a bit baffled. And confused. The death of Michael Jackson threw me for the biggest loop I never expected. I wasn't the hugest fan when he was alive, but I have always loved his music.

So, why write about him? Everybody pretty much has a Michael Jackson post, right? What else is there to say?

Two words: Al Sharpton. Excuse me--The Reverend Al Sharpton.
The reverend opened his mouth and purported that Michael Jackson wasn't strange.

Now, I know that in the heat of the moment, things can be said that may not be completely true or accurate, but how in the world could you even let it come out of your mouth that Jacko wasn't strange? How could you form those words and seriously speak (or preach) them to anybody???

Michael Jackson was friends with a monkey. Does anything else need to be said?

I guess there's truth to the addage "it's not what you say, it's how you say it".
Sorry, but, I'm not going for that okey-doke.

I tell you this right now, I LOVE MJJ! LOVE HIM! I always will. My heart aches over losing him. His talent was beyond exception. He CREATED the music video and put MTV on the map. His music spans, like, five different decades and numerous generations. If he was an icon, he was THE ICON.

With all that gifting, I figure he was entitled to some sort of oddness. And odd he was. We all know he was strange. And really, is there anything wrong with being a little strange? Especially when you're the freaking King of the Universe?! Besides, who among us isn't strange? I like strange. Strange keeps it interesting.


Michael may have been the looniest of the toons, though.

But, I am certain, there is a reason for it all. We've all been given just enough crazy to balance out the brilliance. It keeps us humble. Or at least it's supposed to. The key is to recognize it or sometimes it doesn't work out so well.

In the end, none of that matters. What matters is what he gave. I don't know about you, but to me, it looks like he gave a lot.

Thank you, Michael! I love you.

1 comment:

Brent Leary said...

Well said! He was strange, eccentric, odd and all of that. But he was also one of the most iconic figures of the 21st century. And if it took all of that quirkiness and eccentricity to produce everything that he did, I think I can speak for the billion fans he had and say IT WAS WELL WORTH IT!